Anfield Cemetery and Crematorium
Anfield Crematorium opened in 1896 and is the fourth oldest crematorium in the country. It is Grade II* listed. The building is listed, and is set within a rose garden of remembrance. Chapel times are available every 30 minutes.
Springwood Crematorium opened in 1975 and is set within landscaped gardens. There are two chapels available for services, which take place at 30 minutes intervals.
Allerton Cemetery is Grade II listed. In addition to traditional burial plots it has an environmentally friendly alternative – a natural woodland burial area with mature trees and a range of natural plants and grasses. Graves are excavated to accommodate one full earth burial, so as not to damage tree roots. An adjacent grave may be purchased in reserve where family members wish to be buried together. Burials in this area can only take place in biodegradable coffins. Instead of the traditional headstones, which aren’t allowed in this area, families choose an inscription for the grave marker.
Everton Cemetery opened in July 1880. Various buildings at the cemetery are Grade II listed.
Kirkdale Cemetery contains 386 Commonwealth War Graves from the First World War and 115 from the Second World War. Over 100 of these graves from the former war are of Canadian servicemen who died at No 5 Canadian Hospital established at Kirkdale in July 1917.
Toxteth Park Cemetery
Toxteth Park Cemetery was opened on Monday 9 June 1856. It was the responsibility of the Toxteth Park Burial Board, which had been established by at least 1855. The opening ceremony was performed by the then Lord Bishop of Chester, and the first interment took place, that of an Elizabeth Watling on 17 June 1856.
West Derby Cemetery
Opened in January 1884 it has been used for Church of England, Roman Catholic and Jewish burials. Various buildings at the cemetery are Grade II listed buildings. The cemetery contains 108 Commonwealth service war graves of World War I and 129 of World War II, scattered in the different denominational plots.
Yew Tree Cemetery
Yew Tree Cemetery was the second of the two Roman Catholic cemeteries that were opened in Liverpool in Victorian times. It took its first burials in 1893, more than thirty years after the one at Ford, near Litherland. There are also the graves of 65 servicemen from the Second World War in various parts of the cemetery.
Yew Tree Cemetery is not managed by Liverpool City Council but the Archdiocese of Liverpool.